Monday, 18 February 2013

From Froggy to Romantic Beauty

This dresser had been in my closet after I painted it
in the summer of 2011.

One drawer guide was missing and
I was planning to fix it....
 but I needed more storage in my closet,
so I decided to use this dresser as a *temporary* solution.

.....Year 2012 had come and gone.....

Year 2013 has come.
The other day,my hubby said
"Do you want me to fix the drawer guide?
So you can sell it?"

Well.... I thought in my head
"It's such a pretty dresser ( I think so..)
but no one can see it because it's in the closet....
Very convenient to have extra storage
but I guess it's time for this dresser to go where it can be appreciated."
So, I said OK and he pulled it out and fixed the drawer guide.
Thanks honey:)

I used to call this dresser "A Froggy Dresser."
Because when I found it, it was sporting a frog sticker on top.

*The beginning*

Remember, this was 2011.
I sanded the whole thing.....
(I don't want to go back in time...nooo!!
First was the drawers.

Doesn't it already look better?

Primed and did trials for the color.

I decided to go with black.

Added was furniture applique on one of the drawers and
crystal knobs.
It was OK but I felt it wasn't quite done yet.
So I added stencils.

On the sides and the front.

Then I hated it!!!
It looked way too busy.....

So I toned the stencil down with black paint.

ahhhhhh, much better :)

But I still didn't like the knobs.
I changed them with smaller flower knobs, didn't like it.
I tried the original round ones,painted white,hated.
Distressed and still hated....

Then one day, I saw this pretty white flower pulls at Winners.
I knew they would work.
The moment I came home I tried them on the dresser.
The size, the look, the color, everything worked.
I absolutely loved it :) :) :)

Do you know it's so hard to take good photos of a black painted furniture?
Well, I did my best....

Minimal distressing on the edges.

Anyway, that was.....2011.

So today,in February 2013, I did the last thing to comlete this project,
adding the liners to inside the drawers.

It went pretty good so I'd like to show you how I did it.

First, you cut the liner to the size of inside the drawer.
( I used the self adhesive,sticker type)

Place it inside then put a heavy book on it so the liner will stay in place
while you try to stick down the first part.
Grab one end and peel about 2 inches strip off the backing.
You stick this part first then it'll stay nice in place.
Peel it off....
Stick it down in place.
(now you can remove the book)
Bring the whole liner to one side and start peeling the backing off  little by little.

Keep peeling while press the liner down, make sure it's spreading smoothly.

A little more to go!

Done :)

Now it's finally finished :)

Wow, this turned out to be a long post!

Thanks for reading:)

Sharing at:


Furniture Feature Fridays


  1. Your dresser turned out lovely! Great tip on putting in a lining! I'm your newest follower!

    1. Thank you Tammy! I'm glad you've joined me :)

  2. Looks so pretty and such an improvement. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    1. Danielle, you're very welcome, thanks for hosting :)