Friday, 13 September 2013

Perfectly Imperfect Dresser

Hello everyone!

It's been pretty hot last several days here in Vancouver suburb,
it's like we're still in the height of summer :)
Kids are at school and I was in the garage (of course the garage door was wide open!)
and I finished my "was worst in shape" dresser.

When I found it,it was thrown out on the curb upside down
with the drawers scattered around.
At the first glance,I liked the shape of it and the hardware was nice
 but I knew it'll be a lot of work to fix it.
I was looking at it because I was curious,
but I didn't think I wanted to bring it home.
(Un?) Fortunately all the drawers were there and I think I heard the dresser's scream
for help (Really!?) so I brought her home.

This picture was taken right after I started sanding the top
as you can see, it wasn't in the prettiest shape.

It was thrown out upside down certainly didn't help,look at the top :(



So many deep scratches....
Sure this dresser had seen better days....ages ago!




While staring at this poor thing,I started to feel like I was a rescue hero,
So I got to work....lol
Lots of lots of sanding, filling holes and smoothing them out.

One of the drawer bottom had a big hole so I replaced it too.




I painted this dresser with grey and white, distressed a little.

The top was in such a bad shape with deep scratches,it wasn't easy to make it really smooth,
because you can't sand too deep.
 I decided to go with weathered look.
When you can't have a perfectly smooth surface,
weathered look can somewhat hide the imperfections.
But in fact, often imperfections make a piece more special,don't you think?
Who's perfect anyways? :)


And here's my Perfectly imperfect reborn dresser.


It's still in the garage and I've got lots more furniture to work on,
I decided to keep the dresser there and move on ;)
So no staging this time....

 I enjoyed stencilling the drawer front so much when I did this lovely pink dresser,
so I did it again :)
What do you think???





Painted inside the drawers yellow.



Sprayed silver paint and glazed black hardware.





Oh yeah, and the top.


My version of weathered look.
I hope I did ok.


I applied Polyurethane on the top to have the durability as well as wax.
Entire dresser is hand waxed.
The top looks much darker in this picture, but it's much lighter in color in person.
It's more of the second up-close picture color.
I'm sure this dresser is happier than before :)

Have a great weekend everyone!!!



YAY!!!

This dresser is featured at

Thank you Kathryn!!!


 


Sharing at:




125x125
 
 


Elizabeth and Co.



4 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful! You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-68.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!!
      Thank you Kathryn so much for the feature,you've just made my day :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice work. love the stencil! Don't you love finding an ugly to fix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn, I used to LOVE uglies but now I realized it's just too much work!
      But I know if I see an ugly again with nice bones,I'll take it in again and again and again...lol

      Delete