Sunday, 19 January 2014

Leon Chandon Dresser

Happy 2014!!
 
 
This is my first post of the year.
I hope I will be able to do lots of furniture makeover this year.
More I refinish a piece, more I love doing it, so hopefully I can get better at it every time :)
 
 
 
My first project of the year was this antique dresser that my husband had found for me.
 
 
 
This is the before.
 
100% solid wood with great bones.
But it was scratched up a lot and some knobs were missing and all the drawer bottoms were loose.
It definitely needed a makeover.
 
My husband is great :)
He sometimes finds a good piece like this and
 even sands it for me, yep,I think I'm a lucky girl!
 
Sorry for a poor picture....
 
 
Then it was time for me to do the fun part, painting!!
I used Behr primer in one paint and ASCP Old White.
 
 
 
 
 
 
At this point, I thought I wanted to add some graphics to each drawers.
I did stenciling and Mod Podge transfer.
Hand waxed the dresser, added new silver spray painted knobs.
I also added sheet music on the drawers.
 
 
Here's the AFTER!
 
 
 
 
 
 
This was my first time doing Mod Podge transfer, I think it went well and I love the result!!
See how pretty the transferred image is???
In case you are not familiar with this method....
 
***Mod Podge image transfer***
 
Print out your choice of image with laser printer.
(I'm not sure if it works with inkjet because I only have laser printer but I don't see why not)
Be sure to REVERSE the image if there're any words on it.
 
Apply Mod Podge liberally on the printed side (not on the back)
and place it where you want the image to be, making sure there are no air bubbles left underneath.
Now, wait.
Let it dry completely,preferably overnight.
( or you can speed up the process by using a hair dryer)
 
Once it's dry, using a wet sponge or rug,
soak the image until it's wet.(do partially)
Now, using the tip of your fingers in very gentle circular motion,
try to rub the paper.
(sorry I didn't take any during pictures......)
You'll see the fiber of the paper breaks and starts to lift off.
Wet the image and repeat the process as you clean the fiber until you reveal the whole image.
 
Let it dry.
Then you'll see the image will go back to look white again.
(it's because the fiber on the paper becomes dry)
Wet it again and repeat the process until it doesn't become white when dry.
Apply a sealer of your choice ( mine is poly and wax) and done!
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now I'm working on a girl's vanity which will be ready very soon!
 
 
 
 
 


 
Yay!!!
This dresser is featured at
 
 
GREEN wILLOW POND

Thank you Deborah!!! 
 
 
Sharing at:
 
 


Elizabeth and Co.

 
GREEN wILLOW POND
 

Ivy and Elephants

125x125

7 comments:

  1. Very nice!! Happy to see you back blogging!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing that mod podge process, I don't see how it works? LOL I think it's the getting it all wet after it drys that confuses me . however i think i'll try it this weekend on a small cabinet I have

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe that is the same piece. It is gorgeous. I would love for you to share this fabulous post at our WIW Linky party. I hope you can join us!

    Paula
    Ivy & Elephants

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic job you did! It's just beautiful. I've been wanting to try a transfer like this, and you've given more added enthusiasm. Thanks, Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey
    https://www.facebook.com/irisabbeyfurniture

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sayuri! You knocked it out of the park with this one. What a way to start off the year. Awesome! Thanks for sharing this at What We Accomplished Wednesdays! Have a super week!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried a mod podge transfer, but I will now!! I love how it turned out. Pinning too!

    ReplyDelete