Friday, 31 January 2014

Shabby Chic Romantic Girl's Vanity

I’ve just finished this vanity and I’m really happy how it turned out.
It’s shabby chic, girly and romantic.....
It’s a small vanity for a little girl, if not, I would keep it for myself!
 
 
 
This is how it started out.
 

 
 
I liked the shape of the bottom but not the sides of the mirror part.
(There was no mirror )
The sides looked like  huge ears to me! lol
I thought about painting and doing some cute pattern on them then add hooks so
you can hang earrings( since they already look like ears... lol), necklaces and so on.....
But I still couldn’t see pass through the image of huge ears stuck to the mirror,
 so I decided not to use them.
Hopefully I’ll find some use for these huge ears one day!
 
 
 Simpler and better, isn't it?
( I was trying some furniture applique)
 
 
Anyways, from the beginning I knew it’ll be pink. ( ASCP Antoinette)
All the original handles were broken so I replaced them with crystal knobs.
 
On the top of the vanity I did cute ribbon stencilling ( I bought this stencil a long time ago and was eager to use it one day) with Old White and it started to look really romantic, I was happy :)
 
 
Then I decided to do Mod Podge transfer on the bottom drawers.
I found these lovely flower images at the wonderful The Graphics Fairly.
 
 
 
I really like these vintage flower images, so cute....
Best matches for crystal knobs, don't you think???
 
I reversed the images and printed them out  and applied Mod Podge on them.
Now I have to confess.....almost all my life, when I use glue,
I’ve always put it on the back of a paper, always.
But Mod Podge transfer, you have to put glue on the image, not the back....and believe me,
 this is not something you're used to.
I did the first one and stuck it onto the drawer.
Then I moved onto the second one.
I guess I wasn’t really thinking, I put Mod Podge on the back and
 realised it was the wrong side for this project!!!
'”Oh no, I have to print it out again!” I said to myself and went upstairs, printed one out,
came back down to my workroom.
I grabbed a brush and put Mod Podge......... on the back again!!!
Oh ****!! ( I think I cursed this time) Not again!!
I went back  upstairs and printed it again, this time I was very careful
so I didn't make a mistake...phew!
Yes, it’s very tricky NOT to put glue on the back like you usually do
 if you’re not careful enough....lol
 
 
This time I wanted to take pictures so that I can show you the progress.
I took one but then I was too into the project to remember to take any pictures.....sorry!
 
 
You get the idea....
Glue the image on the good side down and wet it, rub it till you reveal the image.
 
When I was done rubbing the paper fibre away, I applied Poly for extra protection as well as wax.
 
 
 
I painted the ear less mirror
(which my husband measured the size, placed an order, paid for it,
 picked it up and brought home to me,sweet man!) with Old White.
 
Here’s the reborn vanity!
 
 
 Cute, isn't it? : )
 
 

 
 
Since it's for a little girl, I wanted to have some fun!
I added cute vintage animal images inside the drawers :)
 
Bunnies....
 
a birdie....
 
a donkey....
 
And this one is my favourite, a kittie.
I just love the expression on her face.
 I hope a little girl would be thrilled to open these drawers!
 
 
 
 
I'll show you the result of Mod Podge transfer again.
 

 
 
 
 
 I love it :)
 
 
Have a great weekend!!!
 
 


 
Sharing at:
 
 
Elizabeth and Co.
Ivy and Elephants
Furniture Feature Fridays

2 comments:

  1. I will never look at an antique vanity like this again without thinking "Giant ears!" Love the transformation and yes, I have printed out more than one sheet of images to transfer because I put the Mod Podge on the wrong side. The flower images are the perfect backdrop for the knobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so very pretty. Some little girl will be very lucky! I agree that the side panels look like ears...elephant ears to be exact. Ha! Your mod podge story sounds like something I would do too. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete