Friday, 30 September 2011

Antique desk for my daughter

My daughter is in grade 4 and she'd never had a study desk.
She usually does her homework in the nook or at the dining table.



One day I bugged my husband to take me to a thrift store hoping to score some cheap but can be potantially nice furniture to work on.
.....and there she was!
(I don't know why I always treat furniture like a human being..)



Isn't she a beauty?
Sure, it had to be repainted but drawers worked perfect and nothing was broken, except the top left handle, it stays intact like this but it's broken and completely in two pieces. No big deal. I definitely wanted to have this desk.
I also found a good size chair to go with it.






From the first moment I laid my eyes on this desk, I knew I wanted a dark stained top so I decided to get rid of the laminate top.
Please don't mind the darker part of the top I just wanted to try a natural stain method which I had found on the internet, but I'd have liked it darker.
BTW, I'm a big sucker for anything natural, organic, sustainable stuff & food.
My ultimate goal of furniture restoring is to use products which are all earth-friendly....I know, it's a long way to go.



Then I primed white and did the demo.


My very first trial of staining.


Finished.
I really love the contrast between the dark handles and light baby blue drawers.
First, I was thinking to distress these, so I went ahead and distressed the chair first.
When my daughter came back from school and I proudly presented the distressed chair, the corners of her mouth went south right away.
"Oh....mommy, it looks so old..."
I explained her that's a good thing, but she didn't like it.
I was glad I didn't do the desk first, imagine having to paint the whole desk again, oh, no.
Anyway, I love her desk and I hope she'll do lots of studying on this desk for the  many years to come :)














 I'm currently working on this dresser.



Thank you for reading, have a great day!!!




6 comments:

  1. The desk for your daughter is brilliant! Great job. Also looking forward to your current projects.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great transformation from one boring desk to a classy piece of furniture! Love the subtle difference in colour to highlight the details on drawers... Clever choice of dark finish on wood and the black handles add beautiful 'pop' in contrast... Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy,

    Thank you for your comment!To have you say that to me is very encouraging.
    I have 3pieces going on right now and I work in a small shed....I wish I have a huge garage with sink and fridge and the toilet! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyoko san,

    Thank you for the comment, I'm so happy that you've decided to leave a comment here!!

    Reading your comment made me smile.
    I'm so flattered.Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. すごい!すごい!すご~い!素敵な机と椅子に変身だ~!
    さゆりちゃん、これなら絶対にいける、いける!
    頑張れ~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 万里ちゃん

    わ~、励ましのお言葉、どうもありがとう~^^
    そんなにホメていただけると嬉しい&照れちゃうわ。
    これから、頑張るねー!!!

    ReplyDelete